This is a blog post I wrote for Cornerstone’s blog.
5 Tips for Healthy Living
- Drink more water! Stop, rehydrate, and listen. Most people are simply not drinking enough water daily. Water is essential for our body to function, it is needed to carry out our body functions, remove waste, and carry nutrients and oxygen around our body. On average you should be drinking about 8 to 10 glasses of water a day! A great tip is to bring a water bottle with you whenever you go out whether it is running errands, going to store, or dropping your kids off at school. If you have it handy you will be able to stay hydrated and get your daily amount of water in, plus it helps you to avoid unhealthy alternatives!
- Getting enough sleep is key. When you don’t get enough sleep you compensate by eating more. When you get enough rest you don’t need to snack to stay awake plus your body doesn’t have to use more energy to function. On average you should be getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night, so value your beauty rest! If you have a hard time falling asleep at night and counting sheep just isn’t working, here is a list of suggestions so you can fall asleep easy and wake up refreshed the next day!
- Don’t skip breakfast! I’m sure that you have heard the expression breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it’s true! A healthy breakfast will kick start your metabolism and help keep you energized throughout the day. Studies have shown that eating breakfast every day can enhance memory and improve your ability to concentrate. Plus breakfast doesn’t have to be boring! Switch up our breakfast with these healthy suggestions! PB&J oatmeal is a start to your morning or maybe even a delicious strawberry parfait, but sometimes simple is better try avocado toast with egg!
- Understand what you are eating! It is easy to quickly make a meal or pick one up and not truly understand what you are putting into your body. You don’t need to be a food label expert but you should be able to identify what you are consuming at a basic level. For example you should avoid foods that are high in sugar and fat. Or you could pay attention to the amount of carbohydrates in different food items to determine what your best option is. Here is a great resource to understanding food labels to get you started!
- Enjoy your exercise! When you enjoy something you naturally want to do it, the same concept applies to exercise! Exercise shouldn’t be about suffering, it should be about being healthy and having fun at the same time. Here at Cornerstone Center for the Arts we recognize the importance of having fun while you exercise! We offer classes in piloxing, pilates, yoga, and even belly dancing. Piloxing is a combination of pilates and boxing that makes for a fun and challenging workout. It really helps to strengthen your core muscles and boost your metabolism! Pilates focuses on building strength and flexibility while providing cardiovascular conditioning in a fun energetic environment. Our yoga classes offer students the opportunity to strengthen muscles, brings fresh oxygen into your body, increases flexibility, and most of all it restores your spirit! Belly Dance Bootcamp is the perfect way to sweat it out and get fit! This workout will condition your body and improve our isolations and transitions. For more information about our classes or to register visit our website org!